Equality & Diversity Policy
Certified Conformity Ltd. is committed to encouraging diversity and eliminating discrimination in both its role as an employer and a provider of services. Certified Conformity Ltd. aims to create a culture that respects and values each other’s differences, that promotes dignity, equality and diversity, and that encourages individuals to develop and maximise their true potential. We are committed wherever practicable to achieving and maintaining a workforce that broadly reflects the local community in which we operate. All producers, work instructions and business terms and conditions are written without discrimination.
The purpose of this policy is to provide equality and fairness for all in our employment and in the provision of services and not to discriminate on the grounds of gender, marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, religion or age. Certified Conformity Ltd. opposes all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
All employees, whether part time, full time or temporary, will be treated fairly and with respect. Selection for employment, promotion, training, volunteering or any other benefit will be on the basis of skills and ability.
Certified Conformity Ltd. commitment to Equality and Diversity is:
- To create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all our employees are recognised and valued
- To create a working environment that promotes dignity and respect for all. No form of intimidation, bullying or harassment will be tolerated
- To ensure training, development and progression opportunities are available to all
- To promote equality in the workplace, which it believes is good management practice and makes sound business sense
- To regularly review all employment and volunteering practices and procedures to ensure that no job applicants. Staff, trustees or volunteers are treated less favourably than others
- To regularly review services to ensure they are accessible and appropriate to all groups within society
- To treat breaches of the equality policy seriously and to take disciplinary action when required
- To provide information and training to all employees so that they are fully aware of the issues relating to equality and diversity and their responsibilities relating to it
- To ensure the policy is fully supported by the Directors
- To review the policy annually
Certified Conformity Ltd. will act positively in using the equality and Diversity Policy as a means of making public its commitment to provide equal opportunities to all present and future employees.
Certified Conformity Ltd. encourages all employees to apply for suitable opportunities and to seek training for promotion or in particular skills.
The Equality and Diversity Policy, forms part of the employee handbook and contract of employment.
Training in Equality and Diversity is provided as part of the employee’s induction. Any form of discrimination by an employee, is treated very seriously and where appropriate will be dealt with using the company’s disciplinary procedure.
Positive Discrimination is illegal and the recruitment of ‘quotas’ of particular groups is also illegal. Discrimination in selection to achieve or secure a balance of persons of different racial groups is also not allowed under the Race Relations Act 1976.
Job descriptions and are prepared for all posts. The job description indicates the responsibilities and tasks to be undertaken by the job holder.
A list of preferred criteria may also be prepared. Care will be taken to ensure that the description is not discriminatory on the grounds quoted in the policy statement.
Certified Conformity Ltd. will use a range of advertising methods in order to attract the widest pool of appropriate applicants. Vacancies for new and existing jobs will normally be advertised internally and externally.
All our advertising will:
- Contain the statement Thomas Consulting is an Equal Opportunities Employer’
- Ensure that we do not exclude, discriminate against, or discourage any particular group from applying nor make it difficult for anyone from such a group to apply
- Refer to the job description in order to give information about the requirements of the job
- Give clear instructions about obtaining the application form
Application & short listing
All applicants will be asked to fill out an application form which contains only information essential and relevant to the appointment. Different formats will made available
Applications will be short listed by at least 2 people. Short listing will be performed on the basis of objective criteria and the extent to which candidates have shown, in the application form that they meet the required specification, and can carry out tasks and responsibilities required of the post-holder. Formal qualifications and standards of literacy and numeracy will only be taken into account when they are recognised as a necessary for a particular job.
Short listed candidates will be invited to an interview. Staff and members of the Board of Directors responsible for short –listing, interviewing and selection of candidates will be:
- Clearly informed of selection criteria and the need for their consistent application
- Given guidance on the effects which generalised assumptions about people from groups quoted in the policy statement can have on selection decisions
- Made aware of the possible misunderstandings that can occur between persons from different cultural backgrounds
All interviews will be carried out by a minimum of 2 people, the names and gender of the interviewees will be made available in advance.
The questions asked will seek to gather objective evidence in support of the job description and person qualification. The same questions will be asked of all candidates applying for the job.
Disabled candidate will be asked if they need support during the interview process or adjustments should they be offered the position. Notes will be taken and evidence gathered against the job description and person specification. All candidates will be asked about their eligibility to work.
All candidates will be scored against the job description and person specification. The highest scoring applicants will be offered the position.
Offers will be made to successful candidates, subject to satisfactory references and CRB checks (where required)
All unsuccessful candidates will be informed of the result of their application and offered brief feedback.
Criminal Record Bureau (CBR) Policy
For certain positions we will request enhanced disclosures for all employees. This requirement will be clearly stated in the application pack.
Certified Conformity Ltd. will not discriminate against ex-offenders with unspent convictions, unless required to do so because of the nature of the post. All applications will be considered on individual basis
Induction & training
All employees will be required to follow an appropriate induction process to ensure they are equipped to do their job safely and with competence. Part of the induction will include highlighting the company’s policies.
Certified Conformity Ltd. will consider all requests for flexible working arrangements constructively and creatively, taking into account of the balancing the needs of the business and the needs of the individual employee.
Certified Conformity Ltd. will offer a range of flexible working arrangements and will work collaboratively to identify solutions that suit both the individual and the business.
All vacancies will be advertised internally and externally, where appropriate.
All employees will have access to a wide range of training opportunities which are regularly circulated.
Training opportunities will be discussed during supervision sessions and selection training will be made on the basis of both the needs of the business set out in the personal development plan for that individual.
Special needs and requirements for people with disabilities or caring responsibilities will be taken into account when ever practicable and methods sought to help them overcome disabilities in taking up training opportunities.
Staff with management, recruitment and selection responsibilities will be given guidance on the implementation of the Equal and Diversity Policy to ensure that they understand their position in law and under the businesses policy.
Cultural and religious needs
Where employees have a particular cultural and religious needs, Certified Conformity Ltd. will consider whether it is reasonably practicable to meet these needs while maintaining the efficiency of the business
People with disabilities
Certified Conformity Ltd. will make genuine efforts to recruit people with disabilities and take reasonable steps to make the workplace and individual jobs accessible to people with disabilities.
Certified Conformity Ltd. will regularly review its facilities for disabled employees and will try to overcome any problems faced wherever practicable and within reasonable resources available.
Certified Conformity Ltd. will ensure that people that have maximum access to employment opportunities and to meetings and events, regardless of any disability.
Certified Conformity Ltd. will endeavour to ensure that its services to and for the voluntary sector are sensitive and appropriate to respond to the needs of all groups, whenever practicable, i.e. taking account of the needs of minority groups.
Certified Conformity Ltd. will take care to avoid unintentionally discriminatory passages appearing in published, printed or spoken material.
Certified Conformity Ltd. will continue to take a leading role in combating any form of discrimination.
It is the Directors responsibility to ensure the implementation of the Equality and Diversity Policy. Appropriate funds will be sought to implement approved aspects of the policy which require special and additional resources.
All employees have an individual responsibility to:
- Follow procedures introduce to ensure equal opportunity and non-discrimination
- To draw the attention of management to suspected or alleged discriminatory practices
- To refrain from harassing or intimidating other employees clients and and/or visitors of Certified Conformity Ltd. on any of the grounds cited in the policy statement